Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Lebanon Day 1 (well, OK, Turkey at the moment)

And here we are. Completely eventless flights from Paris yesterday got me here bang on time (11:30pm), where I found Charles (one of the band singers who lives in Istanbul) waiting for me with a taxi. It was snowing outside too!!

Anyway, for the next three days I'm staying with Charles and Rebekka (a New Zealander and a Canadian who met in the UK, but now live in Istanbul). They have the cutest 11 month old who is almost walking, and to whom they speak gibberish! They say its Turkish, but I can't hear any difference between gibberish and what they say!

Up and at em 8 this morning (7 my body clock time, oh the jet lag!!) and out to practice at a church about an hour away by rickety bus (while I'm writing this, Charles is hiding behind me from his daughter). It is good to get back with Chris with whom I have played before (Charles has just been found!!), and to meet Jon Simpson, a full time worker who usually plays bass with Bill Drake but who is playing guitar and singing on this tour. We raced through most of the songs during the day, with two more days of practice ahead of us. We should be well prepared by the time we leave for Beirut on Friday morning.

Subjects of prayer: Charles' effects box seems to have developed a "make a random noise" feature, which will seriously affect his ability to pick appropriate sounds for the various styles we are playing; Chris' brother is suffering from a brain tumor that is resisting attempts to kill with chemotherapy, so that is much on his mind (Chris is the drummer); I did my "hardly slept a wink" trick last night, so I am currently shattered.

More tomorrow guys :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home